How to test LSD: if you intend to use LSD (“acid”), first you need an LSD test kit to check it for adulterants. Pure LSD can be laid on any kind of blotter paper (or other surface) and can’t be identified by appearence. To test LSD use reagent tests Ehrlich, Hofmann, Marquis and Mecke in single-use or multiple-use test kits. To detect fentanyl or test for fentanyl analogs it’s recommended to use fentanyl test strips.
Drug tests presumptively indicate PRESENCE, but not PURITY or QUANTITY. Use different tests to improve accuracy and to detect adulterants – 90% of adulterants will react with 1 out of 3 reagents, and 95% with 1 out of 5.
A positive or negative test result does not indicate if the substance is safe. No substance is 100% safe.
What test kit do I need to test LSD (Acid)?
|SAMPLE||RECOMMENDED LSD TEST KITS|
|LSD / DMT / tryptamines, |
lysergamides, other indoles
|primary test -- Ehrlich|
primary test -- Hofmann
secondary test -- Marquis
secondary test -- Mecke
recommended test kits:
-- single-use LSD test kit
-- multiple-use LSD test kit
How can I test LSD?
BEFORE using an LSD test kit
- It’s RECOMMENDED to record the reaction to compare later
STEP ONE for testing LSD blotters / tabs / crystals
- Take a (small) corner of your tab.
- Put it on a suitable testing plate, preferably a spot test plate or the bottom/underside of a ceramic mug (example). *If using single-use vials insert the sample and observe, as the reagent is already within.
- Add one (or two) drops of an Ehrlich reagent test (or other supplied) on the sample and wait for the results.
- Check reagent test results in instructions.
How to use an LSD test kit?
- Check test results with Ehrlich test kit: if testing LSD the exact color of the reaction is not important – the test is of a yes/no type. It will go purple or pink if it is exposed to an indole compound like LSD, an analogue of LSD or a tryptamine. No 0.5cm² blotter can fit an active dose of tryptamine onto it.
- NBOMe compounds and other phenethylamines (like 2C-B) will not give a colour change with the Ehrlich reagent.
STEP TWO testing LSD for adulterants
According to Drugsdata.org, LSD tabs are never ‘adulterated’ with something else besides the main component. Dangerous substances missold as LSD, like 25I-NBOMe responsible for many deaths, do not react with Ehrlich and Hofmann reagents, contrary to LSD and other lysergamides.
Only if your tab doesn’t change color within 10 minutes (like this example):
- THEN in addition to this it is good to use test kits Marquis, Mecke or Froehde. These do make the paper go brown but if there is something like DOC present then the liquid itself usually gives a pretty vivid green colour change.
- In case of doubt that Ehrlich test result could be a false positive, use Hofmann reagent to test more specifically for LSD and tell it apart from other indoles. It’s more precise than Ehrlich, but reacts slower. Keep in mind that other reagents are much less accurate/reliable, according to Erowid.org.
AFTER using an LSD test kit
- OPTIONAL: Pour baking soda over a finished reaction to neutralize used reagents.
- Wash testing surface under running water.
- BITTER tasting tabs. Just because a blotter/tab tasted (slightly) bitter doesn’t mean that it wasn’t acid. Ink can be bitter but so are many other chemicals. Hofmann himself in his notes wrote pure LSD-25 has a slight bitterness.
- False positives. To check if Ehrlich test result could be a false positive, use Hofmann reagent to test more specifically for LSD and tell it apart from other indoles. It’s more precise than Ehrlich, but reacts slower.
- Speed of the reaction does not indicate quantity nor purity. However, if you are having trouble interpreting your result try using a bigger sample.
- How many tests can you get from one test kit? A multiple-use test kit lasts up to 100 (5 ml) or 200 (10 ml) tests. Each drop equals one test. A single use-test kit contains 2 disposable ampoules (2 tests).
All LSD test results:
|MARQUIS||No reaction (charcoaling paper)|
|MECKE||No reaction (charcoaling paper)|
|MANDELIN||No reaction (charcoaling paper)|
|LIEBERMANN||No reaction (charcoaling paper)|
|FROEHDE||No reaction (charcoaling paper)|
|EHRLICH||Pink > Purple > Blue|
|HOFMANN||Blue > Dark Blue|
How to check if reagent for testing LSD works?
- Test any substance and compare color reactions with instructions. It’s easiest to use 5-HTP or melatonin with Ehrlich reagent, which should turn pink / purple or blue.
- Keep a sample to compare later in case of doubt. If control sample reacts fine, it means the reagent still works.
Looking where to buy a kit for testing LSD?
- Single-use LSD test kit -- 3,9 EUR per test, FREE SHIPPING
- Multiple-use LSD test kit -- just cents per test, set of 4 reagents
- Fentanyl test strips -- learn how to test any sample for fentanyl
- …or check out the guide “What is the best reagent test?” and choose from all available SIN reagent test kits
List of all SIN guides how to test drugs:
How to test 2C-B?
How to test MDA?
How to test MDMA?
How to test LSD?
How to test DMT?
How to test FENTANTYL?
How to test COCAINE?
How to test MESCALINE?
How to test KETAMINE?
How to test MEPHEDRONE?
How to test AMPHETAMINE?
How to test METHAMPHETAMINE?
How to test HEROIN & OPIOIDS?
How to test an UNKOWN substance or RCs?
A positive or negative test result does not indicate if the substance is safe. Learn more at erowid.org.